Friday, April 13, 2012

Feature Friday: Barbarian Agency

Last month I had the opportunity to style for a spread in Prince Magazine, an online men’s fashion publication launching this spring. One of the places I pulled from was The Barbarian Agency located in the Tribeca area of NYC. Check out an overview of the showroom and an interview with Barbarian’s Brand Director Steve Trayner in this [FEATURE FRIDAY] blog post. 


Why Barbarian? What makes you stand out from being just another NY showroom?

We believe in 4 things. Immaculate product, a Compelling story, strong infrastructure and a founding team we like to work with. I think many showrooms or agency's take on brands with none of those reason or only some. We think it's the formula for long lasting success and something that also sets us a part. If we can tell a great story through brilliant product that inspires an emotional response we've done our job.




So tell me a little about the Barbarian Agency? 

We aren't just a showroom. We market and communicate through the different mediums of story telling. Digital PR, traditional PR and really innovative ways of marketing that in the end takes intangibles and make them tangible. We're a brand building agency really. 




Who would you say is the main target market your showroom appeals to? Why that demographic?

We sell men's and progressive contemporary at that. Our customer is younger and interesting. I'd say 18-40 year old men are our customers.




What goes into the selection process for a potential client?

If they have immaculate product, a compelling story, strong infrastructure and a founding team we like along with brand alignment we're in.




Any exciting new lines for your spring showroom merchandise?

Well I'm also excited about, Swear, Ksubi, Tsovet, Property Of and Oliberte. 




I noticed the decor of your showroom is very rustic. I really like the contrast of your nature inspired showroom juxtaposed to the city life ? 

Actually, we just moved so our new space is far from the last space. It's exposed brick, white wood floors giant and open. We have a bar in the space and the ability to build a foundational support for our brands with SPACE in NY. It's rare and we're excited about it. 

(I'll be sure to check out the new space and update the blog in a future post).


There are a lot of GREAT accessories and clothing pieces here for men. Where can these brands be purchased?

Bloomingdales, Opening Ceremony, American Rag, Scoop, Gap 1969 just to name a few. 




To switch things up a bit, tell me about your personal style. What makes Steve, Steve?

 I love a good button up a good pair of jeans. I think simplicity is best, while at the same time making a statement within what is comfortable. I always want to be put together and appreciate things that are more timeless. Style is fun because it's always evolving. 

What was the most popular piece in your showroom last season? 

It was the hiking boots, wedge sole men's oxfords and waxed canvas briefcases. 



What fashion forward looks would you say men should expect this spring?

Look for loads of color. In Trousers to socks to shirts to shoes. I'm already gearing up!


Here are some additional pictures of the great shoes featured in the showroom:






Here are some of the select clothing options I liked from one of the featured showroom designers B. Scott (I could see myself wearing every piece from this collection):










Detailing on the back of a simple two-tone button down


Feel free to check out the Barbarian Agency’s official website here. Which pieces did you like best from the showroom?

3 comments:

  1. I like this post! I liked the leather Oxford/Clark shoes the most, and that gray jacket was the piece I liked the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. The B. Scott collection was sick! They have some great selections in this showroom!

    ReplyDelete